About the Post

Author Information

Former Under Secretary of Homeland Security, Author of “Deadly Indifference”, National Security Blog Expert - The National Journal, Political Blogger - The Daily Caller, Radio Talk Show Host - "The Michael Brown Show", Founder & Chairman - Apoklayyis, Inc.

Manners or Lack Thereof. (Warning, Adult Language)

Part of the debasing of our society is our language. It’s reported today that in a Rolling Stone interview with Douglas Brinkley, the President called Mitt Romney a “bullshitter.”

How Presidential.

Don’t call me naive. I’ve heard (and sometimes spoken) most of the curse words we know.

The difference is I was taught that it was a sign of ignorance, a lack of a substantive argument, uncivil, rude and unbecoming.

For a sitting President to resort to such language, including the made-up “Romnesia” is indicative of something more than a losing campaign.

It is a sign of intellectual dishonesty.

And anger, resentment, and, most of all, a lack of class.

This uncivilness, found in more and more public arenas, is disheartening and disgusting.

I imagine every President since Washington has uttered curse words. President George W. Bush, my old boss, once referred to Adam Clymer, a New York Times reporter, as a major league asshole. It was caught on a live microphone. And of course, who can forget Vice President Biden talking about a “big f’ing deal?”

In the age of microphones and cellphone cameras everywhere, perhaps a little more discretion is needed.

I remember one day in junior high school, one of my best friends and me were horsing around, chasing each other down the hall. I hid around a corner and grabbed by buddy as he ran by. He yelled “oh shit” just as the principal came around the corner. Of course, we were hauled into his office.

His words to us? That he knows the word, his mother used it often, but it wasn’t proper “in public.” We weren’t in trouble, he just wanted us to know that he thought there was a time and a place for that language, and it was not in public.

He taught manners.

Get the message?

Tags: , , , ,

6 Responses to “Manners or Lack Thereof. (Warning, Adult Language)”

1. Dogma #

I sent this to Sirota… I somehow doubt he reads your blog posts.

October 25, 2012 at 10:06 pm
  2. David King #

B.H.O. when will his trial start for treason ?????the ambassador was suppose to be a hostage …. to be traded for the blind sheik ……but the marines did not get the memo not to fight………

October 26, 2012 at 4:20 am
  3. Maverick #

Two different replies that contain two words each that should be at the top of the priority list for proper manners.

“Yes sir” and “Yes Ma’am”

Etiquette class back in the education system would get my vote.

October 26, 2012 at 11:08 am
  4. StevenC #

David, when are we going to stop pretending our politicians aren’t just like the rest of us. Every president we’ve ever had used bad language, and bullshitter, while not the best thing he could have said, pales in comparison to the tsunami of repugnant, vitriolic, disrespectful invectives flung his way, by everyone from bloggers to talk show personalities, to members of congress….

Plus, despite your characterization of Mitt being a “straight shooter”, he is anything but. He has flipped his positions so often & so quickly, one can get dizzy, and he has no qualms about lying, day after day after day. His utter disdain for giving a damn about what he says is factual or not, is unlike any presidential candidate I’ve seen in my entire lifetime! And that goes all the way back to Kennedy/Nixon!

For you to attribute the same attribute one would to your favorite political leader, Abe Lincoln, shows you are either not being honest with your listeners, or have lost your mind. Even conservative commentators & politicians have often remarked about his “slipperiness”, while others, like Newt Gingrich, minced no words and call him what he is, “a liar”. A man who lies, flips his script daily, and won’t tell anyone details of his great, secret plan to fulfill all the fantasies he’s promising is really who you want in the driver’s seat of our entire nation? Really?

October 27, 2012 at 4:32 pm
    • Who’s David? Who called Mitt Romney a straight shooter?

October 27, 2012 at 7:30 pm
      • StevenC #

Sorry Michael, I meant you, I was in a rush to get to work, and mixed up names. But I had just watched the “Battle of the Talk Show Hosts”, and you called Romney a “straight shooter”! I was shocked…..

October 27, 2012 at 11:26 pm