About the Post

Author Information

Former Under Secretary of Homeland Security, Author of “Deadly Indifference”, National Security Blog Expert - The National Journal, Political Blogger - The Daily Caller, Radio Talk Show Host - "The Michael Brown Show", Founder & Chairman - Apoklayyis, Inc.

Perspective: On The Fiscal Cliff Staring Downward

A little visual perspective is always worthwhile. Spread this to as many of your friends – and opponents – as you can. Produced by the Senate Republican Conference Committee:

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Perspective: On The Fiscal Cliff Staring Downward”

1. Josh #

Yep and its all Obama’s fault!

It has nothing to do with wall street playing casino games with petioles money.
    It has nothing to do with corporations shipping jobs over seas.

Just vote the Repulicans back in, and we will have the best economy in the history of the world again, over night. We are just a few tax cuts away from a Romney led utopian plutocracy where only lazy people are poor. I fondly remember the eight years that Bush was in office and the republicans had control of the house and senate, boy that economy was great! I really how people will help us to return to the good old W days, man that was a great. Wonder what the numbers look like from his time in office?

September 19, 2012 at 3:14 am
    • Josh, what a bunch of crap. First if you’ve listened to me at all or read other posts, you know I’m critical of both parties, including my old boss, George Bush. So take off your blinders for a second, bucko, and look at these facts. This is just during BHO’s tenure, no one else’s. Democrats have blocked any attempt by Republicans in the House to pass a budget and try to fix some of this stuff.

Your comments are boring and tiring.

September 19, 2012 at 9:44 am
      • Josh #

Don’t you think its a little hypocritical for the Republicans to use these numbers to say that Obama’s policies don’t work when if you look at the same data set from their last president from 2000 to 2008 the numbers and overall experience of his decisions effect on average Americans are worse by orders of maginitude? Why, why should we trust the Republicans will fix anything when the first thing they do at their convention is make sure libertarians have no voice in their party? Why Should we support a canidate who repeatedly shoots first and aims later, why should we support a canidate who has promised to increase military spending, and will likely get us into another war.

September 19, 2012 at 8:46 pm
        • Josh I will not respond until you prove your outrageous allegation that if you take the same categories over the eight years of Bush that the numbers will be worse “by orders of magnitude.” What are you smoking? And just an FYI. If you try to make your point, make sure it’s apples to apples, not some BS trying to conflate figures for different time periods.

September 19, 2012 at 8:53 pm
  2. Josh #

Honestly I was using the phrase “orders of magnitude” to turn a phrase, although as I understand it orders of magnitude can be based on other numbers than 10, it can be any integer that remains the same and is used to relate two sets of numbers one to another. How are you supposed to quantify the overall experience of average Americans?

Why do you want to avoid the issue?

My point is clear, and simply stated right here,

LETS TALK ABOUT WHAT AMERICA WAS ON January 20, 2001, and what was left of it on January 20, 2009

Do you honestly want to argue that Obama has done worse?

Do you not have a problem with the fact that the first thing that the Republicans did at their convention was make sure libertarians have no voice in their party?

Should we trust Romney to run the country when he has shown the a complete lack of competence and judgement as a candidate by using “ready, fire, aim” method of crises response.

I respect your opinion have been listening to you since you entered the Denver market being interviewed on Boyles and Caplis and Silverman, and the fact that you do criticize Mr Bush and the Republicans as well, although not nearly enough for my taste.

I will let my questions stand on their own, they are the reason Obama will be reelected.

September 19, 2012 at 11:55 pm
    • Yes, the country is much worse off since Obama took office. Have GOPers made mistakes? Of course. Has the nation been on a spending binge under both parties? Yes. Has Obama and the Dems made it worse the past 4 years? Unequivocally. I stand on my numbers, waiting for yours, which I guess I won’t get. I’m sure the readers of this blog would be interested in your numbers, too, but alas, they won’t see them.

September 20, 2012 at 10:33 am
  3. Josh #

For readers of my website. Here is Josh’s response to my request for “facts and figures” regarding the Bush presidency. I was going to delete this comment, but decided instead to post it for all to see. Notice at the bottom his source. Notice the typical tactic of swerving from the question asked to something irrelevant. Notice the lack of any facts regarding the economy, as I have posted. Instead you get platitudes from an anti-Bush website instead of any objective, third party source that would actually compare apples to apples (which is something Josh obviously does not want to do). So, rather than deleting his comment, I am posting it for all of you to see. Enjoy. Or not. Michael Brown

Here are a few points and numbers to prove my point,

Why Bush was far worse than Obama

Presided over the biggest corporate stock market fraud of any market in any country in the history of the world.
    Refused to allow inspectors access to U.S. prisoners of war and by default no longer abide by the Geneva Conventions.
    Took the biggest world sympathy for the U.S. after 9/11, and in less than a year made the U.S. the most resented country in the world (possibly the biggest diplomatic failure in U.S. and world history).
    Got us into two quagmires that in the end will have accomplished nothing.
    Spent the surplus and bankrupted the treasury.
    Set economic record for most private bankruptcies filed in any 12-month period.
    Set all-time record for biggest drop in the history of the stock market.
    Cut unemployment benefits for more out of work Americans than any president in U.S. history.
    Set the all-time record for most foreclosures in a 12-month period.
    After taking the entire month of August off for vacation, presided over the worst security failure in U.S. history.
    Changed US policy to allow convicted criminals to be awarded government contracts.
    Set all-time record for number of administration appointees who violated U.S. law by not selling huge investments in corporations bidding for government contracts.
    In first two years in office over 2 million Americans lost their job.Appointed more convicted criminals to administration positions than any president in U.S. history.
    Presided over the biggest energy crises in U.S. history and refused to intervene when corruption was revealed.
    Cut healthcare benefits for war veterans.
    Set the all-time record for most people worldwide to simultaneously take to the streets to protest me (15 million people), shattering the record for protest against any person in the history of mankind.
    The Bush presidency is the most secretive and unaccountable of any in U.S. history.
    Members of my cabinet are the richest of any administration in U.S. history (the ‘poorest’ multimillionaire, Condoleezza Rice, has an Exxon oil tanker named after her).
    Created the largest government department bureaucracy in the history of the United States.
    Set the all-time record for biggest annual budget spending increases, more than any president in U.S. history.
    First president in U.S. history to have the United Nations remove the U.S. from the human rights commission.
    First president in U.S. history to have the United Nations remove the U.S. from the elections monitoring board.
    First president in U.S. history to refuse United Nations election inspectors (during the 2002 U.S. elections).
    Bush’s biggest lifetime campaign contributor presided over one of the largest corporate bankruptcy frauds in world history (Kenneth Lay, former CEO of Enron Corporation).
    First president in U.S. history to unilaterally attack a sovereign nation against the will of the United Nations and the world community..
    In the 18 months following the 9/11 attacks I have successfully prevented any public investigation into the biggest security failure in the history of the United States.
    Removed more freedoms and civil liberties for Americans than any other president in U.S. history.
    Entered office with the strongest economy in U.S. history and in less than two years turned every single economic category heading straight down.

(courtesy of BushOccupation.com)

September 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm
  4. BravoCharlie6 #

I couldn’t help but notice the “firsts” with the United Nations. How did he miss being the “first” to send the U.N. packing to go corrupt some other large city in another country? The rest of his compilation seems like a bunch of tripe to me.

September 30, 2012 at 8:09 am
  5. BravoCharlie6 #

In my previous post, I meant for “how did he miss being” to state “how did Pres. Bush miss being….”

September 30, 2012 at 8:11 am